Local Grant Program

Our promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures. As one of a network of more than 120 Affiliates around the country, the Greater Cincinnati Affiliate contributes to the Komen promise by awarding funds to local non-profit organizations that provide innovative, non-duplicative breast health and breast cancer education, screening and treatment services to the medically underserved, uninsured, or underinsured in our community.

Up to 75% percent of net proceeds generated by the Komen Greater Cincinnati Affiliate remain in the Greater Cincinnati area while the remaining 25% are a direct allocation to the Susan G. Komen National Breast Cancer Research and Awards Program.

The Greater Cincinnati Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is grateful for the widespread community support that has allowed us to distribute more than $6.2 million during the past 13 years to support breast health initiatives in our service area.  In March of 2011, our Affiliate completed a Community Profile which is a needs assessment document.  This report provides an overview of the Komen Greater Cincinnati grant making priorities and the breast health needs of our 21 county service area in SW Ohio, N Kentucky and SE Indiana.  Thanks to this in-depth analysis, our current Request for Application (RFA) targets programs addressing the most pressing breast health needs in our area.

National Research Grant Program

Since its inception in 1982 through 2011, the organization has awarded over 1,000 grants totaling more than $1.5 billion for breast cancer research. Frequently, Komen for the Cure is the only source of funding for cutting-edge breast cancer research, some of which has led to landmark discoveries in the quest to find a cure for and eventually prevent breast cancer. Credited with bringing a new level of integrity to the grant application and review process, Komen for the Cure adheres to a peer-review process that is recognized by the National Cancer Institute (NCI).

Highlights of cutting-edge research include:

  • Discovering multiple genes liked to breast cancer.
  • Understanding how and why cancer cells reproduce and identifying new treatment targets.
  • Understanding how blocking the blood supply to tumors stops them from growing.
  • Discovering why many breast tumors stop responding to hormone treatment.
  • Improving imaging tools like MRI that allows doctors to see inside the breast without X-ray or surgery.


Powered By Blackbaud